Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Patriarch Kirill visited Sviyazhsk – Official web-site of the Moscow Patriarchate

July 20, 2016 23:12

July 20, 2016 during the visit of Tatarstan metropolitan Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill visited the island deg Sviyazhsk.

The Sviyazhsk also arrived the Presidential Plenipotentiary in the Volga federal District Mikhail Babich, President of the Republic of Tatarstan RN Minnikhanov, the head of Tatarstan archdiocese Metropolitan of Kazan and Tatarstan Theophane, members of the official delegation accompanying His Holiness.

Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church met State Counselor of the Republic of Tatarstan Mintimer Shaimiev.

Patriarch Kirill visited the exhibition of the Museum of History of Sviyazhsk.

From the museum Holiness headed to Sviyazhsk Holy Dormition Monastery. At the holy gates of His Holiness met with the rector of the abbot Silvanus (Hohiashvili) and the brethren of the monastery.

His Holiness Patriarch visited the Cathedral of the Assumption, and then talked to the abbot and brethren. Russian Church Primate urged inhabitants of the monastery to the strict adherence to monastic rule, the execution rule of prayer, humility, and obedience, expressing hope that the pilgrims visiting the monastery, will find an authentic experience of life in the spirit of the Fathers.

Then His Holiness a morning vigil at the Cathedral of the Mother of God “Joy of All Who Sorrow».


city of Sviyazhsk (nowadays – a village on an island at the mouth of Sviyaga river) was founded in 1551 as a fortress and a support base of Russian troops in the fight against the Kazan Khanate . Soon Sviyazhsk became a major trading center, received the status of county town. Although Sviyazhsk lost its former importance, but its role as the first Christian city of Kazan edge was taken into account in the titles of archbishops and metropolitans of Kazan diocese, named Kazan and Sviyazhsk in the next century. In XX century Sviyazhsk fate was tragic. After the destruction and closure of monasteries in the 20s Sviyazhsk became a camp area. After the construction of the Kuibyshev Reservoir Sviyazhsk become an island. Only the return of the monastery complex of the Russian Orthodox Church has breathed life into the already a dying city.


Sviazhsky monastery of the Assumption of Mary was founded in 1555 by Archimandrite Herman (Sadyrevym-Field), a descendant of Smolensk princes, postrizhennikom Joseph Volokolamsk monastery and spiritual friend of the first Archbishop of Kazan Gury. Archimandrite German became after the death of St. Gury in 1564 the second archbishop of Kazan. In 1566, St Herman was called Ivan the Terrible in Moscow, where he was offered the Moscow metropolitan department. However, Archbishop Herman sided disgraced Metropolitan Philip and began to denounce the oprichnina, for which he was dismissed, and soon, November 6, 1567, according to one source, was killed (beheaded by the sword), on the other, died during a plague epidemic. In 1595, at the Kazan Metropolitan Hermogenes (future Patriarch of All Russia) were found relics of canonized at the same time Archbishop Herman. The relics were transferred to the Sviyazhsk Dormition Monastery, which became the main shrine.

Sviazhsky Assumption Monastery is the richest and most influential of all the monasteries of the Kazan diocese. In the middle of the XVIII century it belonged about 50 villages with a population of tens of thousands of people. By state in 1764, the monastery was enrolled in the first grade.

The relics of St. Herman, the main shrine of the monastery, were opened in 1923, as well as many relics of Russian saints during this period, for the purpose of anti-religious propaganda. According to tradition, immediately after the opening of the relics on the island began a tornado, which forced those present to scatter in terror. Shortly after the desecration of the holy relics of the monastery fell into disrepair and was closed

In the Soviet period there were:. The concentration camp, the colony for juvenile delinquents, psychoneurological clinic deduced from the territory of the monastery in 1993. The monastery complex was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church in 1997. The first governor of the revived monastery became abbot Cyril (Korovin). At the inauguration of the monastery was present His Holiness Patriarch Alexiy II, the pastoral visit to the visited the Kazan diocese August 31 – September 2, 1997. Among the most famous abbots Assumption Monastery were: abbot Abraham (Palitsyn; 1594-1598), later a famous figure troubled times, ecclesiastical writer; Archimandrite Demetrios (section; 1738-1742), later Metropolitan of Novgorod, was crowned tsar Empress Catherine II; Archimandrite Platon (Lyubarskii; 1787-1787), later Bishop of Astrakhan, a well-known historian and ethnographer; Bishop Ambrose (Gudkov, 1917-1918), a former vicar of the Diocese of Vyatka, shot by Red Army 27 July 1918 without charge or trial, one of the first martyrs of the Kazan region, canonized in 1999. Sviazhsky Uspensky Monastery is a unique historical and architectural complex. Currently, part of the monastery ensemble transferred to the monastery, part belongs to the historical and architectural museum-reserve

«Sviyazhsk». ***

the renaissance and the development of island-town of Sviyazhsk, along with the Bulgarian historical and architectural museum-reserve, engaged Republican revival fund of monuments of history and culture of the Republic of Tatarstan. A non-profit organization was established February 17, 2010, it was headed departed from the post of president of the republic in March 2010, Mintimer Shaimiev.

At the present time in Sviyazhsk and Bolgar almost completed large-scale restoration work, which began in spring 2010.

Sviyazhsk on the right is the list of the most significant cities of the Russian Federation. Included in the waiting list for inclusion in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Sviyazhsk and the ancient city of Bulgar are the centers of the revival of Orthodoxy and Islam holy sites in the Republic of Tatarstan.

The press service of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia


No comments:

Post a Comment